[Taxacom] open access moves

Donat Agosti agosti at amnh.org
Tue Feb 28 03:24:25 CST 2012

At the end of January, US congressman Mike Doyle introduced a new bill
(actually an old bill rejuventated: Federal Research Public Access Act of
2012  - FRPA -
www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/BILLS-112hr4004ih/pdf/BILLS-112hr4004ih.pdf ) to ask
for access to public funded research publications. This can be seen as a
reaction to the Research Works Act introduced at the end of the last year
with support from large publishers, such as Elsevier. Yesterday, Elsevier
released a press statement that they no longer support the WRA
(http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/intro.cws_home/newmessagerwa ). In the
meantime, an appeal to boycott Elsevier has been launched
(http://thecostofknowledge.com/ ) that has been signed by 7529 scientist
from around the world.

>From the perspective of the boycott, the retraction from the RWA by Elsevier
does not even fulfil one single point and thus the others, the high costs,
bundling of publications that cost libraries dearly, and their support for
SOPA and PIPA are still in the air.

The  content of the FRPA could be just the perfect template of how  we
should deal with publications in the taxonomic world, and I would highly
recommend, that our institutions, and especially our Nomenclatorial bodies,
would enact something that matches what the bill recommends. Though the bill
comes mainly from the biomedical side, we have the moral obligation  to make
our content accessible in the light of the ongoing biodiversity crises. From
a technical point of view, our community is one of the leading domains
within the Biomedical literature covered by the National Institutes of
Health by having our own domain specific Publishing and Archiving Tool Kit
DTD (Taxpub DTD) to publish in the most advanced way including the
archiving, and we have journals that make use of it (the journals of Pensoft
publisher, Zookeys, Phytokeys, Mycokeys, JHS, etc.).

It does would be only straight forward if ICZN and their counterparts would
follow.

(b) Content.-Each Federal research public access policy shall provide for-

(1) submission to the Federal agency of an electronic version of the
author's final manuscript of original research papers that have been
accepted for publication in peer-reviewed journals and result from research
supported, in whole or in part, from funding by the Federal Government;

(2) the incorporation of all changes resulting from the peer review
publication process in the manuscript described under paragraph (1);

(3) the replacement of the final manuscript with the final published version
if-

(A) the publisher consents to the replacement; and

(B) the goals of the Federal agency for functionality and interoperability
are retained;

(4) free online public access to such final peer-reviewed manuscripts or
published versions as soon as practicable, but not later than 6 months after
publication in peer-reviewed journals;

(5) production of an online bibliography of all research papers that are
publicly accessible under the policy, with each entry linking to the
corresponding free online full text; and

(6) long-term preservation of, and free public access to, published research
findings-

(A) in a stable digital repository maintained by the Federal agency; or

(B) if consistent with the purposes of the Federal agency, in any repository
meeting conditions determined favorable by the Federal agency, including
free public access, interoperability, and long-term preservation.

Donat Agosti