[Taxacom] BHL-Europe Final events

Scholz, Henning Henning.Scholz at mfn-berlin.de
Wed Feb 29 04:25:41 CST 2012

Dear Colleagues,

the Biodiversity Heritage Library for Europe (BHL-Europe) project is coming to an end this year. We would like to highlight the achievements of the project, but also would like to broaden our horizon. We plan a series of events in June 2012 in Berlin, and I would like to invite you to come to join the public parts of the events.

The first interesting event is a one day symposium (4 June 2012) on the occassion of the 20th anniversary of the Convention on Biological Diversity (CBD). As the CBD is one of the driving forces of the BHL-Europe project, we would like to review the progress implementing the Convention on Biological Diversity (CBD) 20 years after its adoption in 1992. BHL-Europe is organising this symposium in collaboration with the German National Focal Point of the Global Taxonomy Initiative (GTI) and the Network-Forum on Biodiversity Research Germany (NeFo).

As stated in the preamble of the CBD, the contracting parties are "Aware of the general lack of information and knowledge regarding biological diversity and of the urgent need to develop scientific, technical and institutional capacities to provide the basic understanding upon which to plan and implement appropriate measures." The goal of the symposium is to review with biologists, computer scientists, publishers, students, and other stakeholders the status of the information and knowledge space for taxonomists and the capacities to provide the basic understanding on biological diversity. Eventually, we would like to identify the needs and possible actions for the near future to support the further implementation of the CBD towards a sustainable development of the environment and the biological diversity.

On 5 June 2012, we organise a public BHL-Europe demonstration and training day to show the results, tools and services to you. This is important as BHL-Europe is not disappearing, but will further aggregate European biodiversity content after the end of the project.

More information are available here: http://bhle-finals.blogspot.com/ <https://webmail.mfn-berlin.de/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://bhle-finals.blogspot.com/> . As you can see, the program is not finalised yet and we have some flexibility, so please suggest contributions while filling the registration form.

Registration is free and open now until 22 April 2012: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/bhle-finals <https://webmail.mfn-berlin.de/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/bhle-finals> .

Any questions, please let me know. Please have in mind that the official review meeting on 6 June 2012 is only open for consortium members.

Best regards,
Henning Scholz