[Taxacom] Does the species name have to change when it moves genus?

JF Mate aphodiinaemate at gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 02:30:17 CDT 2012

Daniel wrote:

> For instance, entries about these taxa in places like Wikispecies or
> Wikipedia cannot use any of the images from the original description
> in order to explain the characteristics of the taxa in question.

> As a sidenote, the widespread practice amongst taxonomists (and
> others) to publish composite figures is also something mainly based on
> tradition, and it actively hinders reuses of the kind outlined above,
> since most reuse scenarios (e.g. Wikipedia entries or blog posts or
> even just illustrations of phylogenetic trees) would require single
> images of a particular taxon but if these have to be extracted from
> the composite one, they have a lower resolution than the one the
> author had originally produced and often contain letters or scale bars
> or other information in a way that is not editable (as a SVG file
> would be). Such technical issues are the main reason why no images
> from a taxonomic source have become a Featured Picture on Wikimedia
Commons.

Notwithstanding the fact that copyright is the main stumbling block to
wider dissemination of taxonomic information, I find that, generally, it is
journals rather than taxonomists who determine formats and file types for
publication. Just a bit of proactive marketing (sending Wikispecies some of
the extra media directly) would suffice. Who doesn't like publicity?

Jason