[Taxacom] pro-iBioshphere project Web Site launched

Donat Agosti agosti at amnh.org
Wed Nov 7 23:36:42 CST 2012

Hi Stephen

Don't you have a pretty undifferentiated view of the world? "all trying to do the same".

We have few global projects that deliver, GenBank, GBIF, some that plan to do so (GNA, Zoobank, IPNI); we have one large digitization project (BHL) and a long tail of scanning intiatives, some of it accessible through google or other search engines;  we have a long tail of small projects that deliver content, including ca 2000 plus journals publishing taxonomic content, individual databases from larger scale like Diptera or Hymenoptera Name Server to small taxa projects. But we do not have yet the system that glues all this together.

The Pensoft approach to create semantically enhanced journals like Zoobank is one step in the right direction, to avoid adding to the above chaos.

If some of the large European institution pick up the ball and want to invest into this brave new world, I think this is great news. If they are  able to find external funding and most not divert internal resources that includes creating content, even the better. And finally, if the funding is not from a program for taxonomic studies, then it is even better, because it also means, that somebody positioned outside our sphere considers what we do well worth funding. But their hope is that we can deliver and create content.

And that means, we have to change our attitude of one man-shows to pool our resources using everybody's strength to make sure we not only disseminate content, but also create new one that adds to a global (biodiversity) knowledge system. Again with Pensoft a partner of the pro-iBiosphere project, and support from the National Library of Medicine we have ingredients that help in implementing this vision. This is the building block to glue things together at the moment the information is published. It builds on other elements, like GNA, a global bibliographic system, that at the end depend in individuals that are willing to share what they have right now and are willing to publish in a way that maintains this system.

I personally consider it a success for our field that we are funded at par with projects covering the European Science Cloud, e-infrastructures for research and education sharing, and find it promising, that we are considered to possess vital information for Europe's future and since this is a global open system, might contribute to a better understanding of global biodiversity.

Donat