[Taxacom] Systematic Biology textbook

Ashley Nicholas Nicholasa at ukzn.ac.za
Thu Nov 8 05:20:37 CST 2012

 Hi Alan,

I have used the following books for my Plant Systematic modules:

WOODLAND, D.W. 2009. Contemporary Plat Systematics 4th edn. Andrew University Press, Berrien Springs. ISBN 978-1-883925-64-2. [This is a nice mix of practical and field botany and molecular systematics Introduces students to the broad picture -- good level 2 & 3 textbook]

SIMPSON, M.G. 2010. Plant Systematics. 2nd edn. Elsevier Academic Press: Burlington. ISBN 978-0-12-374380-0. [This is a popular text book in South Africa for years 2 to honours].

JUDD, W.S., CAMPBELL, C.S., KELLOGG, E.A., STEVENS, P. & DONOGHUE, M.J. 2007. Plant Systematics: A Phylogenetic Approach. Sinauer Associates : Sunderland. ISBN-13: 9780878934072. [Excellent for Honours and Postgrad teaching]

SOLTIS, D.E., SOLTIS, P.E., ENDRESS, P.K. & CHASE, M.C. 2005. Phylogeny and Evolution of Angiosperms. Sinauer Associates : Sunderland. ISBN 0 87893 817 6 [Focused on the molecular -- for the more mature student]

I would be interested to see what other lecturers around the world are using.

Regards
Ashley

Ashley Nicholas (PhD)
Associate Professor & Curator Ward Herbarium
School of Life Science,  Westville Campus
University of KwaZulu-Natal,
Private Bag X54001,
Durban, 4000, South Africa
Tel.:+27-31-260 7719 Fax.: +27-31-260 2029
nicholasa at ukzn.ac.za
Empirical scientists do not deal with the truth, we deal with hypotheses. At their best these hypotheses are insightful and predictive, however, nonetheless experience has shown that they are often only a poor approximation of reality and therefor the truth. - Ashley Nicholas