[Taxacom] All levels of organisation and manifestation should be acknowledged for the classificatory and evolutionary value that is inherent in them

Ken Kinman kinman at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 8 09:58:50 CST 2012

Hi Ashley,
      Here, here.  Agree completely, and many others do too.  Not that our heads would go on the chopping block, but our heads do get sore banging up against that brick wall (of holophyly worship coupled with paraphyly bashing).  You would think branding paraphyletic taxa with a "Scarlet letter" P would satisfy them (Thomas Cavalier-Smith uses a * symbol, and I use a % symbol for paraphyletic taxa).  But explicit marking of paraphyletic taxa doesn't satisfy them, and they just want to destroy them (not just bash them), no matter how informative and useful such taxa can be.  Few of them seem willing to even discuss possible compromise of any sort on this subject.