[Taxacom] cladistic analysis for morphological characters

Jan Bosselaers dochterland at telenet.be
Sat Nov 10 16:49:03 CST 2012

Dear Sami,

It is often stated that it is best to have about three times more morphological characters than taxa, but that is not an absolute necessity. As soon as you have about twice as many characters than taxa, as in your case, the matrix is worth a try. Much depends on the ratio between binary and multistate characters, the way characters are scored and whether you use a weighting scheme, such as implied weighting, or not. I just finished an analysis on 42 taxa and 82 morphological characters and obtained a consensus of nine trees with a consistency index of 0.648, while Sanderson & Donoghue (1989) Evolution 42: 1781-1795 predict a ci of 0.351 for such a data set. So give it a try, and when it does not work out properly, do what Kluge said: go back to the data and check all your scores.

Best regards and success,

Jan Bosselaers