[Taxacom] Biodiversity data and ABS

Alec McClay alec.mcclay at shaw.ca
Mon Nov 12 13:33:45 CST 2012

Not sure if this quite fits your criteria, but there has been lively
discussion of the effects of ABS on biological control. At least some
uses of biological control agents are definitely commercial, e.g. in
the greenhouse industry. See:

Cock, M.J.W., van Lenteren, J.C., Brodeur, J., Barratt, B., Bigler,
F., Bolckmans, K., Consoli, F.L., Haas, F., Mason, P.G. and Parra,
J.R.P. (2009) The use and exchange of biological control agents for
food and agriculture. Commission on Genetic Resources for Food and
Agriculture Background Study Paper No. 47. Food and Agriculture
Organisation of the United Nations, Rome, Italy.
Cock, M., van Lenteren, J., Brodeur, J., Barratt, B., Bigler, F.,
Bolckmans, K., C F., Haas, F., Mason, P. and Parra, J. (2010) Do new
Access and Benefit Sharing procedures under the Convention on
Biological Diversity threaten the future of biological control?
BioControl 55, 199-218.
van Lenteren, J.C. and Cock, M.J.W. (2009) IOBC Reports to FAO on
Access and Benefit Sharing. Biocontrol News and Information 30, 67N-87N.

At 11:00 AM 12.11.12, you wrote:
> > Subject: [Taxacom] Biodiversity data and ABS
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > I am currently working on a paper on Access and benefit Sharing, GBIF,
> > EoL and others, and Information Sharing. I section will deal with
> > commercial use of biodiversity data.
> >
> > Somehow I am unable to locate concrete commercial examples of the use
> > biodiversity data. Most seems uncommercial, at least non-profit or
> > scientific.
> >
> > Do you have any ideas? Links, pdfs or key words are welcomed.
> >
> > best Fabian

Alec McClay, Ph.D., P. Biol.

McClay Ecoscience
15 Greenbriar Crescent
Sherwood Park, Alberta
Canada T8H 1H8

Phone (780) 464-4962
Mobile (780) 953-4077
Fax       (780) 410-0496
Skype alec.mcclay
Email <mailto:alec.mcclay at shaw.ca>alec.mcclay at shaw.ca or
<mailto:biocontrol at mcclay-ecoscience.com>biocontrol at mcclay-ecoscience.com

www.mcclay-ecoscience.com
Biological control, invasive species, insect-plant ecology