[Taxacom] Systematic Biology textbook

Louis Ronse de Craene L.RonsedeCraene at rbge.ac.uk
Tue Nov 13 05:05:07 CST 2012

Hello Alan,

I use my book "Floral diagrams [Ronse De Craene L.2010. Floral diagrams.
An aid
to understanding flower morphology and evolution. Cambridge University
Press, Cambridge. ISBN-13:9780521729451/ISBN-13:9780521493468]" for
teaching angiosperm phylogeny and evolution,
as it is very useful for teaching botany classes (as a basic structural
botany course
using the framework of the molecular systematics).

Regards,

Louis

Dr. Louis Ronse De Craene
Director of the MSc course
Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh
20A Inverleith Row, Edinburgh EH3 5LR, U.K.
Tel. +44 131 248 2804
Fax  +44 131 248 2901
url: www.rbge.org.uk/msctaxonomy

On 08/11/2012 11:20, "Ashley Nicholas" <Nicholasa at ukzn.ac.za> wrote:

> Hi Alan,
>
>I have used the following books for my Plant Systematic modules:
>
>WOODLAND, D.W. 2009. Contemporary Plat Systematics 4th edn. Andrew
>University Press, Berrien Springs. ISBN 978-1-883925-64-2. [This is a
>nice mix of practical and field botany and molecular systematics
>Introduces students to the broad picture -- good level 2 & 3 textbook]
>
>SIMPSON, M.G. 2010. Plant Systematics. 2nd edn. Elsevier Academic Press:
>Burlington. ISBN 978-0-12-374380-0. [This is a popular text book in South
>Africa for years 2 to honours].
>
>JUDD, W.S., CAMPBELL, C.S., KELLOGG, E.A., STEVENS, P. & DONOGHUE, M.J.
>2007. Plant Systematics: A Phylogenetic Approach. Sinauer Associates :
>Sunderland. ISBN-13: 9780878934072. [Excellent for Honours and Postgrad
>teaching]
>
>SOLTIS, D.E., SOLTIS, P.E., ENDRESS, P.K. & CHASE, M.C. 2005. Phylogeny
>and Evolution of Angiosperms. Sinauer Associates : Sunderland. ISBN 0
>87893 817 6 [Focused on the molecular -- for the more mature student]
>
>I would be interested to see what other lecturers around the world are
>using.
>
>Regards
>Ashley

>Ashley Nicholas (PhD)
>Associate Professor & Curator Ward Herbarium
>School of Life Science,  Westville Campus
>University of KwaZulu-Natal,
>Private Bag X54001,
>Durban, 4000, South Africa
>Tel.:+27-31-260 7719 Fax.: +27-31-260 2029
>nicholasa at ukzn.ac.za
>Empirical scientists do not deal with the truth, we deal with hypotheses.
>At their best these hypotheses are insightful and predictive, however,
>nonetheless experience has shown that they are often only a poor
>approximation of reality and therefor the truth. - Ashley Nicholas

The Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh is a Charity registered in Scotland (No SC007983)