[Taxacom] FW: cladistic analysis for morphological characters -- UPGMA is not cladistics

Ashley Nicholas Nicholasa at ukzn.ac.za
Tue Nov 13 06:01:18 CST 2012

John you are right,

UPGMA is a phenetics method and is not eplicitly evolutionary. It only measures similarity, and similarity is not always a good indicator of descent from a common ancestor. This is especially true in flowering plants where convergent evolution/homoplasy is rife.

Analogous (rather than homologous) base pair sequences are probably less common than in morphology -- so maybe molecular systematists can get away with approximating it to an evolutionary tree. However, in the end it is not an explicit evolutionary tree -- and this needs to be acknowledged rather than ignored (which is what usually happens). However, no matter what, the resulting phenogram is a hypothesis. This hypothesis is as valid as any other hypothesis (until falsified) -- and probably carries some interesting insightes and may generate some interesting questions for further explorations.

The text books say a minum of 60 characters is needed but I would think the number of characters needed would depend on the size of the group being analysed. Some statistician has probably established this??

Regards
Ashley