[Taxacom] FW: cladistic analysis for morphological characters -- UPGMA is not cladistics

John Grehan calabar.john at gmail.com
Tue Nov 13 11:19:29 CST 2012

I would agree with Richard that a phylogeny only explains what it explains.

Ashley makes the important point that both morphological and molecular
methods have their challenges and none is a silver bullet, but the
predominent view is that molecular methods are more reliable. As those who
have been on this list for some time already know that in the systematics
of higher primates molecular methods have been elevated to the status of
infaliability and an absolute falsifier of any contradictory morphology.

I would beg to differ with Ashley's characterization of morphology and
genetics. All morphology is genetic in the same sense that DNA molecules
are genetic. However, systematic analysis of DNA molecules is not genetics
(in the sense of inheritance), is is a comparative morphology of DNA
molecular composition.

John Grehan