[Taxacom] pro-iBioshphere project Web Site launched

Roderic Page r.page at bio.gla.ac.uk
Fri Nov 16 07:07:13 CST 2012

> provided they can be linked up into a "data lake" and not remain as "data puddles".

+1 for linked up. It seems to me that the lack of links is a major obstacle to infrastructure delivering the benefits that it promises. In a ranty mood, I challenged the TDWG RDF community to demonstrate what using RDF has achieved, and the results were somewhat underwhelming (http://iphylo.blogspot.co.uk/2011/10/reflections-on-tdwg-rdf.html )

I wonder if one way forward is try and map out the connections we need to do useful things (both for taxonomy and broader biodiversity questions), compare this with what we have, then determine what needs to be done to remove the log jam (Cyndy Parr created a network diagram between different data providers for a recent paper http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.tree.2011.11.001 which asks a somewhat different question ).

This might also be a way to tease apart the two competing explanations for lack of progress, lack of content and lack of links. If we can identify sources of content (e.g., digitised museum collections) but lack of links (e.g., to genome database or literature citing those specimens) then links are the issue. If we need data on host-parasite interactions but these haven't been studied (or have been but aren't digitised) then the problem is content.

Regards

Rod

Roderic Page
Professor of Taxonomy