[Taxacom] pro-iBioshphere project Web Site launched

David Patterson dpatterson at mbl.edu
Fri Nov 16 14:38:02 CST 2012

Invest more in the infrastructure to allow us to rely on dynamic copies of
content, and add filtered push technology to improve the quality of content.

Paddy

On Fri, Nov 16, 2012 at 7:07 AM, Paul Kirk <p.kirk at cabi.org> wrote:

> If links (via IDs) are what we need then we are going to need a heap load
> of 'same as' in some mahusive database. My experience of the last decade or
> so is that once one puts stuff on the web (e.g. IF) so that the content can
> be reused / aggregated / harvested (e.g. via open web services) everyone
> and his dog takes a copy and applies their local ID (e.g. CoL, GBIF, EoL,
> Genbank ...) and exposes it for, in this example, a text string
> representing a scientific name applied to a fungus ... which already has a
> persistent ID (from May 2005).
>
> You all have a good weekend ... and reuse, don't reinvent ... :-)
>
> Paul

___________________________________
David J Patterson

Senior Scientist, Marine Biological Laboratory
7 MBL Street, Woods Hole, MASS 02543, USA.

Research Professor
School of Life Sciences, Arizona State University
Tempe, AZ 85287-4501

Professor (MBL) Ecology and Evolutionary Biology
Brown University, Providence, Rhode Island

Life Sciences Lead, Data Conservancy dataconservancy.org

globalnames.org