[Taxacom] methodological plurality

Kipling (Kip) Will kipwill at berkeley.edu
Thu Nov 22 15:21:01 CST 2012

I see my sarcasm app wasn't working.

[I am now assuming my straight face] I'm not in this for the trees for
their own sake at all. I'm a taxonomist who loves all the things you
list. I also want solid, defensible phylogenies, something PJD didn't
get to. Yes, my starting point is systematics and phylogeny, if you mean
primary in that sense, but you can't jump to ecology or evolutionary
biology without a good phylogeny/ Unless the question is quite
restricted, anyway. I don't think phylogeny just helps answer taxonomic,
ecological and biogeographical questions, they simply can't be properly
addressed without phylogeny at all.

Among others, Darlington and Sloane are in my mind giants on whose work
I am happy to stand. But now we can do a much better job of testing what
they could only conjecture.

When I reclassify the Australian pterostichine carabids, and I will, I
hope you and others find my justifications and results convincing, thus
my concern about where those trees are coming from.

--

Contact info:

Kipling W. Will
Associate Professor/Insect Systematist
Associate Director,Essig Museum of Entomology

send specimens to:
Essig Museum of Entomology
1101 Valley Life Sciences Building, #4780
University of California, Berkeley
Berkeley, CA 94720-4780

letter mail to:
130 Mulford Hall
ESPM Dept.- Organisms & Environment Div.
University of California
Berkeley, California 94720

fax 510-643-5438