[Taxacom] methodological plurality

Robert Mesibov mesibov at southcom.com.au
Thu Nov 22 20:21:48 CST 2012

Kip:

"Yes, my starting point is systematics and phylogeny, if you mean primary in that sense, but you can't jump to ecology or evolutionary biology without a good phylogeny/ Unless the question is quite restricted, anyway. I don't think phylogeny just helps answer taxonomic, ecological and biogeographical questions, they simply can't be properly addressed without phylogeny at all."

That's really interesting, and reminds me a little of Dobzhansky's famous remark that 'nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution'. Are you rephrasing that as 'nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of a classification or phylogeny'?
--
Dr Robert Mesibov
Honorary Research Associate