[Taxacom] ubiquist??

Mark WIlden mark at mwilden.com
Tue Oct 2 11:15:53 CDT 2012

Language is a pretty democratic process. If people in general (not just us and not just a few guys publishing a paper) want these kinds of changes, then they'll happen - otherwise not.

Yet every generation seems to have these very same issues. Can we forget that Nero Wolfe banned Webster's 3rd from the brownstone for its solecisms? Are there any among us who have never used 'impact' as a verb?

Not that there's anything wrong with railing against changes we don't like. Everyone gets a vote (though some people's votes matter more than others). But change is inevitable. If you've been pretty comfy with the way things are, change is bad.

Personally, I am a descriptivist, who, for example, thinks that "it's" and "its" will eventually merge, and that that would not be a bad thing. On the other hand, I'm a pedant who would rather have my eyeballs sucked out than use one for the other incorrectly. :)