[Taxacom] dinosaurs and wolves

Pierre Deleporte pierre.deleporte at univ-rennes1.fr
Wed Oct 3 17:32:36 CDT 2012

Many thanks, Kirk

for me, the crucial part of your post is :

"We need to think about the why-questions we ask,
HOW BEST TO INFER CAUSAL EXPLANATIONS FOR OUR OBSERVATIONS, *
*and the extent to which relevance issues need to be considered."

I think that "relevance" is dependent on "how best to infer"
so I focus my reflection on: "how best to infer',
which, in my view, appeals to: "MODELS OF CHARACTER EVOLUTION"

the more we will know about general evolutionary processes (if any)
for all kinds of characters in all lineages,
or for different kinds of characters in different lineages,
the best we will be able to implement this knowledge
in our formal procedures for
"SKETCHY HISTORICAL EXPLANATION OF CHARACTER OCCURRENCE AND DISTRIBUTION"
(my personal formulation of the Fitzhughistic view),
also known as "PHYLOGENY INFERENCE" (more repanded popular formulation,
if well conceived)

some approaches make use of explicit models of character evolution,
some approaches make use of formal rules with implicit models of
character evolution
(I exclude explicitly assumed purely formal - 'strictly pattern' -
approaches as non-biological) -

for me the crucial question is:
what do biologists know of evolutionary processes (= "models"),
that they can confidentially use for historical explanatory inference?

because I think that nobody can logically infer any history of sorts,
without knowing at least some vague notion about the rules of historical
processes (if any)

I think that "VERY VAGUE" is also a crucial point in your post -
as applied to causal accounts, in my view it implicitly qualifies
the underlying explicit or implicit evolutionary models (if any)

as for data partition:
in my view we can either treat data sets separately
and then combine them afterwards
according to their respective evolutionary rules (="weights" or "costs"),
or analyse them in a single analysis of a single data matrix
while applying simultaneously different models
relevant to different subsets of this inclusive data matrix

I'm just trying to propose a positive perspective,
beyond: "don't compare separate analyses"

everybody "compares" them anyway,
and you can't do anything against this -
but if "compare" means" combine", however roughly and intuitively,
I think it's not at odds with the logical requirement of using total
relevant evidence
for inductive historical inference / explanation

I an agree that we better face this logical necessity,
and make it more explicit, formalized, and biologically supported as
best as possible

my two cents - and please forgive my poor English (if any!)
Pierre

post scriptum:
my compliments to people able to purposedly find this discussion
under the label "dinosaurs and wolves" -
TAXACOM is a refreshing intellectual wonderland   :-)

--
Pierre DELEPORTE
UMR6552 EthoS