[Taxacom] Best usage - spp (no period) or spp.?

Paul van Rijckevorsel dipteryx at freeler.nl
Mon Oct 8 02:36:32 CDT 2012

From: "Jim Croft" <jim.croft at gmail.com>
Sent: Monday, October 08, 2012 7:04 AM

> And to help you make the decision perhaps err towards common practice.
> See, e.g., http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abbreviation [...] All bar one
> of the cited examples use a period.

***
And if you enter "pp." into Wikipedia you end up at "pp", with no
period allowed.

Seriously, I don't see the problem. Both "spp." and "spp" are
clear enough and both are in use; it is merely a matter of style,
and I don't see any reason why part of a database could not
use one style, while another part of a database uses another
style. It would be different if this happened haphazard,
with one genus using spp. and the next genus in the same family
using spp, but this is not the case here.

If you feel strongly that consistency is desirable (why?) then it
would be possible to device all kinds of software, converting
one into the other, or allowing readers to choose a preferred
style, but this may as easily be perceived as being confusing.

Paul