[Taxacom] Paraphylophobia (or paraphylyphobia)

Ken Kinman kinman at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 8 10:11:47 CDT 2012

Hi John,            Well, as I have stated before, I have no phobia about clades.  I love clades.  However, I don't like the instability caused by naming every potential clade.  Strict cladists who prematurely name such clades on the slimmest of evidence should be punished by more rejections from editors.  Editors and reviewers could also make it harder to dismantle paraphyletic taxa which are stable and still utilitarian (again, especially when it is based on the slimmest of evidence).  As for pejorative labels, it's shame the big wigs on Wall Street weren't labelled "derivativomaniacs" long before the crash of 2008.  Occupy Wall Street movement came much too late, but better late than never (if it prevents a repeat of that fiasco).