[Taxacom] Best usage - spp (no period) or spp.?

Barry Roth barry_roth at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 8 21:27:33 CDT 2012

I'm mildly surprised no one who is or has been a biological editor has spoken up on this.  When I was the editor-in-chief of a biological journal -- print media, full text, prose -- I would have insisted (and probably did, if it ever came up) on the presence of a period.  "Spp." is an abbreviation, not an acronym or a symbol (as in stock ticker symbols --CSCO, GM) and the governing rule in such cases is to add the dot.  In another context, one or another databasing lingo, maybe not so.  But I would hope that when output from such a system has to be converted to prose readable by ordinary folk, the dots would appear.

Full stop.