[Taxacom] Best usage - spp (no period) or spp.?

Stephen Thorpe stephen_thorpe at yahoo.co.nz
Wed Oct 10 14:42:52 CDT 2012

Though I think the matter is trivial (and pointless!), there does seem to be some confusion here still:
Abbreviations are contrasted with acronyms for *multiword* names, e.g.

abbreviation U.S.A.

acronym NASA

abbreviations use "periods", acronyms don't.

That much is clear. But when we apply it to single words, things get
trickier. There is no such thing as a single word acronym. Instead
abbreviations are contrasted with contractions, e.g.

abbreviation St., for street [the 't' in 'St.' is the first 't' in 'street']
contraction St, for saint

some people are claiming that abbreviations use "periods", contractions don't

cf is not straightforwardly either an abbreviation or a contraction!

S. [abbreviation for Stephen]