[Taxacom] Post-Doctoral Position in Zurich

Peter Linder peter.linder at systbot.uzh.ch
Tue Oct 16 05:26:51 CDT 2012

Post-doctoral position in macro-evolution and phylogenetic systematics,
available from 1 January 2013. This position is part of a large existing
project, in which we explore the patterns of radiation in the Angiosperms.
We are linking plant functional traits to climate change, to shifts in the
phylogenetic rates, and "groundproofing" the patterns against the fossil
record. The team includes a palaeobotanist (Yaowu Xing), who has compiled
the largest existing database of Angiosperm fossils from the Cenozoic. The
plant functional data is being assembled by a PhD student, Renske Onstein.
She has already compiled substantial datasets on various families and
orders. What we need now is a phylogeneticist, who will assemble the trees
over which the rate shifts, climate shifts, and plant trait shifts are
modelled. This involves downloading datasets from Genbank, building the
trees, and dating them, then calculating rate shifts. The successful
candidate will have experience using the relevant softwares (MEDUSA, RaXML,
MrBayes, BEAST), and experience with R analyses.

Funding is definite for a year, but might be extended for another two years.

If you are interested, could you send me (Peter Linder:
peter.linder at systbot.uzh.ch )

a) A letter detailing why this interests you

b) CV

c) Two possible referees.

Peter Linder

Institute of Systematic Botany, University of Zurich

Zollikerstrasse 107

CH-8008 Zurich

Switzerland

Phone: +41 (0) 44 634 8410