[Taxacom] revised great ape classification

Ken Kinman kinman at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 17 22:31:03 CDT 2012

Dear All,           I've been revising my classification of Family Pongidae (sensu lato), and adding more Eurasian genera to reflect the growing belief that the extant African ape clade may well have Eurasian roots (best known from European fossils, but future discoveries will no doubt be made in poorly studied areas of western Asia).
      Although I recently noted that a 2012 paper (Kelley and Gao) suggested removing Lufengpithecus from the orangutan clade (clade 2 below), that study was based on a single juvenile specimen, so I am not removing that genus from the orangutan clade (at least not at the present time).  The placement of genus Ouranopithecus remains particular difficult (perhaps closer to Rudapithecus than to Nakalipithecus??).
     Although I have been suggesting for several years the possibility of a Gorilla-Pan clade, I am here coding them in separate, but adjacent clades, with the Gorilla clade (clade 5) splitting off first, followed by the Pan and Hominidae clades (as is indicated by most molecular data).  And clearly I have no intention of abandoning a broad paraphyletic Family Pongidae (coded by the paraphyletic symbol %).  Thus I maintain the smaller, traditional Family Hominidae (sensu stricto), not the much broader Hominidae that most strict cladists have now adopted (with confusing subclades including Homininae, Hominini, Hominina, etc.).  Anyway, here is my revised classification as it now stands, but suggestions are welcome about what other genera should be added, or the placement of those genera presently included:
11 Pongidae%
    1A Dryopithecus
     B Anoiapithecus
     ? Pierolapithecus