[Taxacom] revised great ape classification

John Grehan calabar.john at gmail.com
Thu Oct 18 05:16:07 CDT 2012

While Ken is, like anyone, free to arrange taxa however he feels, the
arrangement given has no scientific basis since Ken never gives a
systematic account of the evidence involved. Even if one held the orangutan
theory of human origin in contempt (as most evolutionary biologists do), it
is at least based on scientific and testable (contestable) evidence.

I've obtained the Kelley & Gao paper from the author and will render an
opinion in due course. At present I am not sure that any evidence was
presented to demonstrate that the specimen conformed to Lufengpithecus in
the first place (not much spare time at present). And there is also one
feature that is different from all other primates which I found rather
interesting. More on that soon.

John Grehan