[Taxacom] e-publishing: a hint from the real world

Chris Thompson xelaalex at cox.net
Thu Oct 18 15:00:47 CDT 2012

All:

As a loyal subscriber and reader who has a current subscription until 04 Feb
2016 , I am very upset that I will no longer be able to sit in my chair and
read a real magazine. AND who are hurt the most is the older people who no
longer can understand / use computer / online interfaces, etc.

BUT as for PRESERVATION, I do not worry.

In biology / taxonomy, we now, for example, have the Biodiversity Heritage
Library program. So, today regardless of who and where you are, if you have
access to the internet you can get copies of old biodiversity literature
(the pre-1923 copyright barrier).

So, while I have a large personal library of old books and reprints, TODAY I
can find an article faster by doing a query online at  my computer than
looking among my library.

As for long-term preservation, already the library community has worked
together to develop a network of servers who promise to maintain these
original digital files.

Sincerely,

Chris Thompson