[Taxacom] e-publishing: a hint from the real world

Jim Croft jim.croft at gmail.com
Thu Oct 18 18:41:37 CDT 2012

The Internet Archive, a pillar of the BHL, is building a hard copy
archive of its digital resources:

http://blog.archive.org/2011/06/06/why-preserve-books-the-new-physical-archive-of-the-internet-archive/

The advisability of doing this in San Francisco, which we all know is
going to slip into the Pacific Ocean any day now, is perhaps
debatable, but the mere fact that they are doing it at all surely
tells us something.

jim

On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 8:47 AM, Chris Thompson <xelaalex at cox.net> wrote:
> Thanks, Mike,
>
> I really appreciate that,
>
> HOWEVER, I should add for the larger community, there is ONE minor feature
> that the online (BHL) does not provide that those with old fashioned
> "reprint" libraries have.
>
> Authors are known to make mistakes, etc., but frequently when they
> distributed "reprints" of their work to their colleagues, etc., they made
> corrections! And for those who work and/or are associated with organization
> like maintained "reprint" libraries, those old paper reprints frequently
> have annotations on them as subsequent workers used them. And sometimes this
> can provide useful information.
>
> Yes, one can annotate digital publications, but as of yet there is not a
> generally accepted system to allow for this.
>
> BUT ... As Bob Dylan once sung, "... Times are a changing ..."
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Chris
>
> from home

Jim Croft ~ jim.croft at gmail.com ~ +61-2-62509499 ~ http://about.me/jrc
'Without the freedom to criticize, there is no true praise.
- Pierre Beaumarchais
'Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to
pause and reflect.'
- Mark Twain
of doubtful sanity.'
 - Robert Frost