[Taxacom] Trochochlamys ogasawarana (Japanese landsnail)

Barry Roth barry_roth at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 20 02:09:06 CDT 2012

I believe this is the species that was originally described as Kaliella ogasarawana by H. A. Pilsbry, 1902 (April 23), New land Mollusca from Japan and the Bonin Islands, Proceedings of the Academy of Natural Sciences, Philadelphia 54: 25-32, the description beginning on p. 31.

It is cited and illustrated by Masao Azuma, 1982, Colored Illustrations of the Land Snails of Japan (Osaka, Hoikusha Publ. Co.), p. 168, fig. 299 (color photo of shell) in genus Trochochlamys of family Helicarionidae.  The descriptive text is in Japanese.  The genus is placed by some workers in Euconulidae.

I have not seen the original description and have not looked for intermediate taxonomic works that may have referred it to Trochochlamys or other genera.

Best regards,

Barry