[Taxacom] Clarification of Code's Article. 13.1.2

Francisco Welter-Schultes fwelter at gwdg.de
Sun Oct 21 05:31:05 CDT 2012

Stephen,

Just citing a synonym behind a new name that is not otherwise explained
does neither fit the requirements of a bibliographical reference under
Art. 13.1.2, nor that of a new replacement name under Art. 13.1.3.

There has been some offlist correspondence, so it is now clear that
Fittkau 1962 set a comma between name and author, probably suggesting that
"Tokunaga 1937" was meant as a reference in a bibliographic sense. This
solves the case in a way that the responsibility for providing the
differential description was forwarded by Fittkau 1962 to Tokunaga 1937
(this is because the case falls into Art. 13.1.2 and not 13.1.1, so that
Fittkau is out of the game and providing the differential description was
Tokunaga's job). Tokunaga 1937 cannot have given a description purported
to differentiate his or her taxon from the Linnean name (otherwise he or
she would not have classified the taxon as P. monilis Linnaeus). This
means that Fittkau's name was not made available in the 1962 source.

Establishing a new replacement name for a name "P. monilis sensu Tokunaga
1937 non Linnaeus 1758" is not possible.
Certainly I do allow the "sensu". This is probably what Fittkau liked to
express.

Francisco