[Taxacom] Botanical (algal) families ending in -ataceae

Stephen Thorpe stephen_thorpe at yahoo.co.nz
Sun Oct 21 19:05:12 CDT 2012

Yes, it's a Greek neuter noun thing ... the other fork of the prong, so to speak, is that such genera are often incorrectly combined with feminine species epithets instead of neuter ones, so for a made up example, this would be correct:

Family STOMATIDAE
Genus Stoma
Species Stoma vulgare

but one would often see incorrect versions like:
 Family STOMIDAE
Genus Stoma
Species Stoma vulgaris

Stephen