[Taxacom] Clarification of Code's Article. 13.1.2

Francisco Welter-Schultes fwelter at gwdg.de
Mon Oct 22 04:27:17 CDT 2012

Dear Torbjørn,
thank you for this PDF file which is very helpful. In the context it gets
clearer that Tokunaga and Johannsen were not set behind the species name
in the sense of authorities.

Indeed what Fittkau 1962 liked to express were subsequent and in Fittkau's
judgement incorrect usages of Pentateura monilis, to which Fittkau
referred by giving the authors and dates where these names were
misinterpreted.
Fittkau is 1962 and has to follow the rules of Art. 13.1. He did neither
give a description nor did he establish new replacement names. The only
provision that could save these new names from being unavailable is indeed
Art. 13.1.2, bibliographical reference to a previously published
differential description.
The references to Tokunaga 1937 and Johannsen 1905 can only be accepted as
bibliographical if Fittkau also gave some bibliographical data, in a list
of references. If this was not so, then "bibliographical" would very
probably not be the correct term.
If the two were cited there, then the next question is, had they provided
a differential description, purported to distinguish them from other taxa?
And at least here is where the house falls down. Very probably they did
not, otherwise they would not have classified their taxon with P. monilis.
And this is why both Fittkau's names are very probably unavailable.

The quality of the previous descriptions is not decisive. It is the
intention to distinguish the taxon from others. If other scientists think
that the descriptions of the sensu names from 1905 and 1937 provided
sufficient evidence that a different taxon was meant, this is irrelevant.
The original intention by Tokunaga and Johannsen has to be analysed. And
they very unlikely had the intention to distinguish their taxon from P.
monilis. Even if Johannsen and Tokunaga described an African elephant with
3 legs, the description was not purported to be differential as long as
they classified their animal as the African elephant and no other taxon.

Fittkau 1962 did not do anything useful there. The rules in the Code were
made to avoid a too low quality in zoological nomenclature.

Francisco