[Taxacom] Bibliographic References

Francisco Welter-Schultes fwelter at gwdg.de
Mon Oct 22 17:23:02 CDT 2012

As said in previous mails, I accepted Fittkau's reference to Tokunaga 1937
as bibliographic.

Fittkau 1962 did not give a differential description him or herself, so
this job was forwarded to Tokunaga 1937:

13.1.2. be accompanied by a bibliographic reference to such a published
statement
(= "a description or definition that states in words characters that are
purported to differentiate the taxon", Art. 13.1.1)

Either the statement was intentionally differential or not. You cannot
say, in Fittkau's eyes it was intentionally differential, in Tokunaga's
eyes not. Fittkau did not even give an explicit statement that and why
s/he regarded Takunaga's description as differential. Perhaps Fittkau did
not even regard Tokunaga's description at all as differential and
classified Tokunaga's taxon only with a different species because of the
geographical range given by Tokunaga, which would not fit into the range
known for the Linnean species. Or because of the different environment.
Nothing was said, nothing can be known.

The "purported" refers to Tokunaga, not to Fittkau, because Fittkau did
not give an explicit statement in this concern.

I did not see the 1937 paper either. If Tokunaga wrote "my taxon can be
distinguished from the other taxon by these and these characters, but I
don't like to give it a new name now", then the reference would lead to
"such a statement". But the usual workflow in such sensu names is that
authors just misidentified a species and did not provide such a
differential description. I have assumed that this was the case here. If
Tokunaga provided a clearly intentionally differential description, then
Fittkau's name would be available. But it appears that this was not so,
and also Fittkau's notes do not suggest that very accurate work was done
here.

Fittkau could have written "take Tokunaga's description, I regard the blue
colour reported by Tokunaga as differentiating the new taxon from the
Linnean species", then Fitkau would have done the job. But Fittkau just
wrote nothing. Doing nothing is always a bad solution if one's job is to
comply with the Code's provisions, the more so after 1960.

Francisco

> Well, that statement runs the risk of adding to the confusion, so better
> to say this:
>
> For a new name to be available from Fittkau (1962), Fittkau (1962) has to
> give a description (either directly or indirectly via bibliographic ref.)
> which *he* (i.e. Fittkau) purports to differentiate between the relevant
> taxa. The last bit has nothing to do with Tokunaga! The biblio. ref. to
> Tokunaga is just "shorthand" for the actual description (by Tokunaga) ...
>
> Stephen

> From: Neal Evenhuis <neale at bishopmuseum.org>
> To: Stephen Thorpe <stephen_thorpe at yahoo.co.nz>; Francisco Welter-Schultes
> <fwelter at gwdg.de>

Francisco Welter-Schultes
Zoologisches Institut, Berliner Str. 28, D-37073 Goettingen
Phone +49 551 395536
http://www.animalbase.org