[Taxacom] Land plant taxon has been renamed

Jim Croft jim.croft at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 21:43:32 CDT 2012

Yes, if the consensus is that this proposal is code compliant, this is a
good and a pragmatic solution to a real issue. While those 'in the know'
can handle 'the equisetum thing' as a higher level umbrella name for the
group of everything else, it confuses and freaks out those without a
botanical nomenclatural background. It would not have been such a problem
had Equisetum not been such an iconic and easily recognizable group of
plants. Intuitively the 'equisetum thing' should look sort of like an
Equisetum. That is how the human mind works.

We have had several examples here of data aggregators 'correcting' provided
taxonomic data because flowering plants are not scouring rushes and what
were we doing sending them erroneous data to mess up their understood
wisdom anyway. They were making it wrong, but it looked right. Truthiness
is a thing, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truthiness, and it needs to be
included as a warning in all the Codes. :)

jim

On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 12:01 PM, Ken Kinman <kinman at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Dear All,
>         Last month we had a discussion here about whether Class
> Equisetopsida was an appropriate name for the land plant taxon. Well, this
> month a more appropriate name was proposed (Class Embryopsida).   I
> certainly agree that Embryopsida is a lot better name, and I recommend that
> it be used by those who want to give land plants the rank of Class.  But I
> still prefer to rank it as Kingdom or Subkingdom, as Embryophyta or
> Metaphyta, and those same names could be at Phylum level as well.   Anyway,
> here is a link to the abstract of that recent publication:
>
> http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/iapt/tax/2012/00000061/00000005/art00014

> these methods:

Jim Croft ~ jim.croft at gmail.com ~ +61-2-62509499 ~ http://about.me/jrc
'Without the freedom to criticize, there is no true praise.
- Pierre Beaumarchais
'Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause
and reflect.'
- Mark Twain
'A civilized society is one which tolerates eccentricity to the point of
doubtful sanity.'
 - Robert Frost