[Taxacom] Land plant taxon has been renamed

John McNeill johnm at rom.on.ca
Tue Oct 23 04:12:55 CDT 2012

Yes, Jim, Embryopsida is Code compliant -- the relevant provisions are:

 11.10.  The principle ofpriority does not apply above the rank of family (but see Rec. 16A).

[Recommendation16A
16A.1.  In choosing among typified namesfor a taxon above the rank of family, authors should generally follow theprinciple of priority.]

and:

16.1.  The name of a taxon above therank of family is treated as a noun in the plural and is written with aninitial capital letter. Such names may be either (a) automaticallytypified names ....; or (b)descriptive names, not so formed, which may be used unchanged at differentranks.

Embryopsida is a descriptive name.

Unfortunately there are a number of other situations in which such a sensible approach has not been achieved -- as in the need to use the family name Plantaginaceae  evocative of the temperate weedy plantains for Veronica and other former members of the Scrophulariaceae

Cheers,  John

John McNeill, Director Emeritus, Royal Ontario Museum;
    Honorary Associate, Royal Botanic Garden, Edinburgh
Mailing address:  Royal Botanic Garden, Edinburgh, EH3 5LR, Scotland, U.K.
Telephone:    +44-131-248-2848;  fax: +44-131-248-2901
Home office:  +44-162-088-0651
e-mail: jmcneill at rbge.ac.uk (mail to johnm at rom.on.ca is also read)

>>> Jim Croft  10/23/12 3:45 AM >>>
Yes, if the consensus is that this proposal is code compliant, this is a good and a pragmatic solution to a real issue. While those 'in the know' can handle 'the equisetum thing' as a higher level umbrella name for the group of everything else, it confuses and freaks out those without a botanical nomenclatural background. It would not have been such a problem had Equisetum not been such an iconic and easily recognizable group of plants. Intuitively the 'equisetum thing' should look sort of like an Equisetum. That is how the human mind works.

We have had several examples here of data aggregators 'correcting' provided taxonomic data because flowering plants are not scouring rushes and what were we doing sending them erroneous data to mess up their understood wisdom anyway. They were making it wrong, but it looked right. Truthiness is a thing, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truthiness, and it needs to be included as a warning in all the Codes. :)

jim

On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 12:01 PM, Ken Kinman  wrote:

> Dear All,
>         Last month we had a discussion here about whether Class
> Equisetopsida was an appropriate name for the land plant taxon. Well, this
> month a more appropriate name was proposed (Class Embryopsida).   I
> certainly agree that Embryopsida is a lot better name, and I recommend that
> it be used by those who want to give land plants the rank of Class.  But I
> still prefer to rank it as Kingdom or Subkingdom, as Embryophyta or
> Metaphyta, and those same names could be at Phylum level as well.   Anyway,
> here is a link to the abstract of that recent publication:
>
> http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/iapt/tax/2012/00000061/00000005/art00014

> these methods:

Jim Croft ~ jim.croft at gmail.com ~ +61-2-62509499 ~ http://about.me/jrc
'Without the freedom to criticize, there is no true praise.
- Pierre Beaumarchais
'Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause
and reflect.'
- Mark Twain
'A civilized society is one which tolerates eccentricity to the point of
doubtful sanity.'
 - Robert Frost