[Taxacom] Land plant taxon has been renamed‏

Ken Kinman kinman at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 23 20:51:56 CDT 2012

Hi All,
      I sent this earlier in the day, but it apparently didn't go through:   I was under the impression that the use of Plantaginaceae was fairly secure (and it seems to be widely used), especially since it has been conserved and Veronicaceae is too old to conserve.  The only threat seems to be the 1999 proposal that Antirrhinaceae be conserved against Plantaginaceae.  Is that proposal still being seriously considered after 13 years?

John McNeill wrote:

Unfortunately there are a number of other situations in which such a sensible approach has not been achieved -- as in the need to use the family namePlantaginaceae evocative of the temperate weedy plantains for Veronica and other former members of the ScrophulariaceaeCheers,  John