[Taxacom] Mystery photo

Stephen Thorpe stephen_thorpe at yahoo.co.nz
Thu Oct 25 22:16:26 CDT 2012

Yes, of course, but hardly a usual pollination scenario! Besides, the locality up in the remote Tararua mountains makes it unlikely to be Icerya purchasi (the only Icerya sp. in NZ), which is an introduced species typical of gardens and orchards. Also, male I. purchasi would be larger than 2 mm. There are other, poorly known, native margarodoids, which cannot be ruled out, but I still wouldn't be surpised if we were way off the mark with this ...