[Taxacom] Mystery photo

Mallik.Malipatil at dpi.vic.gov.au Mallik.Malipatil at dpi.vic.gov.au
Mon Oct 29 18:00:26 CDT 2012

Hi All

I tend to think this photo is of a male of one of the NZ native margarodid
species,  e.g.  Coelostomidia rather than Icerya -   [ According to my
reading Icerya males have infuscate wings].
Morales (1991 Fauna of New Zealand) included six species in this genus
(male body size ranging 2.4 - 5.0 mm), and species such as C. zealandica,
known as great giant scale , has male 3.7 - 4.5 mm long. I'm not sure
what's the size of the insect in the photo.

Cheers

Dr M. Malipatil
Principal Research Scientist (Biosystematics)
Bioprotection, Biosciences Research Division
Department of Primary Industries Knoxfield Centre
PB 15, Ferntree Gully Delivery Centre Vic 3156
AUSTRALIA
Phone  61 3 9210 9338 ; Fax  61 3 9800 3521
Mobile 0417359514
Email : mallik.malipatil at dpi.vic.gov.au
Editor (Heteroptera), Zootaxa