[Taxacom] e-only publication for zoology, starts today

Richard Pyle deepreef at bishopmuseum.org
Tue Sep 4 02:51:18 CDT 2012

Hi Paul,

Yes, there was much discussion about the issue of retroactivity.  On the one
hand, it seems silly to have a rule that goes into effect on 1 January, when
there is no way to comply with the rule (or even have knowledge about the
existence of the rule) until months later.  However, the rationale boiled
down to the following:

1) The Code usually has changes to rules take effect on a 1 January, to
preserve the language of "before 2012" and "after 2011" (etc.); and

2) If it was pushed to 1 January 2013, then there would be two more
problematic things:
        a) Allowance for e-publication would be delayed for four additional
months for no tangible reason; and
        b) It would be logistically difficult to begin e-publication on 1
January 2013 if no mechanism was in place to prospectively register content
prior to 1 January 2013 (or, conversely, it would be confusing that content
could be registered in advance of 1 January 2013 but could not be
effectively published until 1 January 2013).

The bottom line is that there is no graceful way to make this transition,
and the way it was ultimately made seemed to be the least awkward to a
majority of Commissioners.

Aloha,
Rich