[Taxacom] e-only publication for zoology, starts today

Richard Pyle deepreef at bishopmuseum.org
Tue Sep 4 03:08:16 CDT 2012

> A question that immediately raises itself, is if there have been names (or
> nomenclatural acts) that have been published earlier in the year that now
> suddenly come into existence?

Technically that's not possible, because before one hour ago, it was not
possible to comply with the requirements of the Amendment within ZooBank
(i.e., the old ZooBank did not allow designation of an Archive).

> Or in other words, what is the first zoological name that was published by
e-
> only means, or is this still to be registered?

I'll think we'll be finding out soon.  But which is more interesting:  first
registered, or first published?  Also, I suspect that most existing journals
will not instantly drop the paper edition of the journal, so it may be a
while before we see the first e-"only" published name.  But there may seon
be examples where the date of publication for purposes of priority come from
the e-edition, rather than the paper edition (if the e-edition complies with
the Amendment, and is published prior to the paper edition).

Aloha,
Rich