[Taxacom] e-only publication for zoology, starts today

Paul van Rijckevorsel dipteryx at freeler.nl
Tue Sep 4 03:23:08 CDT 2012

From: "Richard Pyle" <deepreef at bishopmuseum.org>
Sent: Tuesday, September 04, 2012 10:08 AM

>> Or in other words, what is the first zoological name that was published
by e-only means, or is this still to be registered?

> I'll think we'll be finding out soon.  But which is more interesting:
> first registered, or first published?  Also, I suspect that most existing
> journals will not instantly drop the paper edition of the journal, so it
> may be a while before we see the first e-"only" published name.  But there
> may soon be examples where the date of publication for purposes of
> priority come from the e-edition, rather than the paper edition (if the
> e-edition complies with the Amendment, and is published prior to the paper
> edition).

***
I would guess it will not take long, there should be plenty of
e-only journals that cannot wait to register their publications.
Also, it may become attractive for journals with both an
electronic version and a paper version to use the date they
finalize the contents as the publication date, so when they send
it to the printer, rather than when it goes into the mail?

But thank you for clarifying that, effectively, e-only publication
starts no earlier than today and perhaps much later, depending
on how fast publishers are to fulfill the new requirements.

Paul