[Taxacom] CDROM / DVD Publication

Chris Thompson xelaalex at cox.net
Tue Sep 4 08:15:35 CDT 2012

Paul:

It is only now a historical footnote, but in regards to CDROM publications,

There is at least one CDROM serial***:

The Diptera Data Dissemination Disk, issued in Washington DC ISSN 1521-0014

There have been only TWO volumes, first on December 1998 and second, March
2004

When that first volume was issued, it was valid under the 3rd edition of
ICZN (red book). You need to remember about the original CDROM technology.
In the beginning, disks were STAMPed***, that is, the same as printing.
Hence, they met the criterion of Art. 8 (a) (3) of "... simultaneously
obtainable copies by a method that assures numerous identical copies." AND
they were not excluded by Art. 9.

By the time the editorial board was working on the 4th edition, we added
Art. 8.6 to ensure that these special publications would be properly
archived in "... at least 5 major publicly accessible libraries ..."

What is important here is that technology improved and most CDROM / DVD are
no longer produced by stamping out disks, but are written by lasers burning
a dye, etc., and therefore do not meet Art. 8.1.3.

So, when the discussion came up by the new editorial group, it was decided
to simply eliminate all these type of publications, etc. but history had to
be protected, etc.

And that is the problem of codes of nomenclature, rules for the present and
future, but also ensure what was properly done in the past is also
available.

Oh, well ...

Sincerely

Chris Thompson

*** I do not know remember, but I believe back in the late 1990s and early
2000s there were other CDROM publications, etc.