[Taxacom] CDROM / DVD Publication

Mark Wilden mark at mwilden.com
Tue Sep 4 11:10:28 CDT 2012

On Tue, Sep 4, 2012 at 6:15 AM, Chris Thompson <xelaalex at cox.net> wrote:

> You need to remember about the original CDROM technology.
> In the beginning, disks were STAMPed***, that is, the same as printing.

I don't see why "stamping" should provide better assurance of
duplicate copies than other methods, but we haven't been printing by
"stamping" in 60 years. Modern offset printing is planographic - you
roll an inked blanket across a piece of paper.

I'm a letterpress printer, and we still do "stamp" things.

> Hence, they met the criterion of Art. 8 (a) (3) of "... simultaneously
> obtainable copies by a method that assures numerous identical copies." AND
> they were not excluded by Art. 9.

I wonder why they thought that "stamping" produced identical copies
any more than bubble-jet-spraying or laser-scribing?

Water under the bridge, I suppose.

Mark

Mark Wilden
Web Applications Developer