[Taxacom] e-publishing and the "taxonomic impediment"

Paul van Rijckevorsel dipteryx at freeler.nl
Wed Sep 5 02:45:38 CDT 2012

From: "Richard Pyle" <deepreef at bishopmuseum.org>
Sent: Wednesday, September 05, 2012 8:07 AM

> Not quite; the Amendment for Zoology was drafted in Paris in 2008; when
> e-publication was just a gleam in the botanists' eyes.  Depending on how
> you prefer to frame the world, either this means that zoologists are
> hopelessly inefficient in getting things done, or botanists are reckless
> and overly hasty.

***
It is not easy to say when "e-publication was [first] a gleam in the
botanists' eyes", but the 1993 Congress set up a Committee, which reported
to the 1999 Congress:
"The possibilities of electronic publication are so impressive and complex
and evolving so rapidly that it would be futile to try to make
recommendations about means and processes. When electronic journals have
been published for a few more years, informed decision will be possible."

"- How can an electronic publication be archived in a form that will remain
readable by future hardware and software?
- How can an original version be protected from changes?
- How can each publication be uniquely identified for access purposes?
These questions are being answered by librarians, archivists, and
publishers, in concert with computer experts, but the solutions have not
yet been widely implemented. We should allow time for those with
appropriate expertise to formulate long-term guidelines."

There were two subsequent Committees before e-only publication was
allowed, twelve years later, so speculation about being "reckless and
overly hasty" is not called for!

Paul