[Taxacom] Using Herbarium Records: Nominations of Symposium Speakers Sought

Mary Barkworth Mary.Barkworth at usu.edu
Wed Sep 5 09:14:49 CDT 2012

The US Virtual Herbarium Project, Collections Committee of the American Society of Plant Taxonomists, Society of Herbarium Curators, and iDigBio are planning a symposium proposal for Botany 2013. Its title and abstract are below. To make it the best possible symposium, we are inviting nominations (including self-nominations) of people who are particularly well qualified to give a presentation on some aspect of the topic.

Please send your nomination and a brief synopsis of why the person would be a good speaker to Eric Ribbens (e-ribbens [at] wiu.edu) by Sept. 25. We shall try to find support for speakers but cannot guarantee it at this stage.

Title: Using herbarium records in research, teaching, and public outreach.

Abstract: Digitization of herbaria and other natural science collections has received major support on the grounds that enhanced access to specimen data will benefit research, teaching, and the public. The Symposium speakers will discuss how, by integrating the process or products of digitization into their research, teaching, or public outreach, they were able to achieve objectives or reach people that would have been difficult or impossible prior to specimen digitization.

Mary