[Taxacom] e-only publication for zoology, starts today

Richard Pyle deepreef at bishopmuseum.org
Wed Sep 5 19:54:41 CDT 2012

Hi Stephen,

These are all good points, and ones that we thought a great deal about when designing ZooBank.  In fact, the ZooBank database has a more robust edit log/audit system than Wikimedia does (more robust in that in order to make a change to content, a user must be authenticated - so we not only what changed and when, but we know reliably by whom).  What you're actually describing is the gap between what's in the ZooBank database, and the subset of that content that is displayed on the web page. Obviously, there are many, many, many things that are in the database that are not yet displayed on the page.  Sometimes this is because it's internal information of no use to the end user.  Sometimes it's because of embargoed information (e.g., In-Press articles prospectively registered).  Sometimes it's because people disagree about what should and should not be displayed on the website (and to whom) - so we need to get feedback from more users before making a decision.  And sometimes, it's simply because there are finite resources for development of the website, so we need to prioritize what gets done first.

The point about displaying the date when the Archive was included in the ZooBank registry falls in the last of these reasons. It's already on the "to do" list (along with many other suggestions that have come in since the site went public), and so this feature will be added soon.

I would like to strongly encourage everyone who has been using ZooBank (or who will be using ZooBank) to provide feedback and suggestions on how the site can be improved.  Our plan is to be as responsive as possible to suggestions, so that ZooBank can continue to improve steadily and at a reaqsonably fast pace. One request, though, would be to make sure the suggestions get directed to admin at zoobank.org<mailto:admin at zoobank.org>.  Simply sending them to me personally, or to taxacom, will not ensure that the suggestions make it into the queue.

Aloha,
Rich