[Taxacom] e-only publication for zoology, starts today

Richard Pyle deepreef at bishopmuseum.org
Thu Sep 6 01:05:50 CDT 2012

> this touches on another point that I don't yet
> fully understand: it seems on the face of it
> now that ZooBank has unilateral control over
> who can or cannot publish e-only, by simply
> refusing registration access to anybody it doesn't like?

Hmmmm.... how so?  Anyone can create a ZooBank account and start registering.

> I'm not sure yet just who can or cannot register
> publications on ZooBank,

Anyone with a functional email address.

> and whether there
> is overt or covert control over this??

Nope. Not yet, anyway.

> So, say, if ol' Trevor Hawkeswood rolls
> on up wanting to register some e-only
> publications for Calodema, does he
> have the right to register them, or could
> he be turned away???

The decision by the ICZN subcommittee on this was to allow anyone to register and be able to edit the content they created.  Other levels of access have more to do with editing other records and viewing unpublished content.  Obviously, if there is abuse of the system, we could very easily implement a mechanism for suspending an account, or revoking privileges, or whatever.  But there as yet is no policy for doing so.

But this is exactly the sort of thing the community needs to decide.  In my mind, ZooBank ultimately belongs to the taxonomic community.  ICZN manages it, for sure; but ultimately the taxonomic community should drive the actions and decisions of ICZN in this regard.  At least that's the way I hope it works, and that it should work.

Aloha,
Rich