[Taxacom] e-only publication for zoology, starts today

Richard Pyle deepreef at bishopmuseum.org
Thu Sep 6 02:59:31 CDT 2012

> Laurent Raty does appear to have a point: there does not seem to be a way
> for the average ZooBank-user to know that a PDF published earlier this
year
> was not published in the sense of the newly amended zoological Code.

Agreed -- and we'll likely add the date of archiving to the displayed data
(we already track it).

> It might help to change the "Registered on 06 March 2012 by ..."
> to something like "Registered (print) on 06 March 2012 by ..."
> for all the 2012 (and later?) entries. I presume that publishers will have
the
> option of choosing to register only one of their editions (that is, only
their
> print or only their online version), as their preference may be?

As I explained to Stephen in an earlier message, we had originally
envisioned treating the e-version and print version separately (i.e., you
would select one particular version as the registered version "of record".
However, for a variety of reasons, the decision was made to consider both
versions the same "work".

> Surely, there
> is no law that says that online and print versions must be published on
the
> same day.

Of course not.  But the date, for purposes of priority, is the earliest date
on which either version was in compliance with the amended Code.

> P.S. I see URL's for Archives have been (are being?) added already. Quick
> work!

Credit goes to Rob Whitton, who has been tirelessly monitoring ZooBank
during its first 48 hours of life (new life, anyway).  I'm stuck on a ship
in the northwestern Hawaiian Islands, with very limited internet access.

Aloha,
Rich