[Taxacom] e-only publication for zoology, starts today

Laurent Raty l.raty at skynet.be
Thu Sep 6 04:59:22 CDT 2012

On 09/06/2012 11:33 AM, Richard Pyle wrote:
> Another thing to consider: in general, when there are multiple criteria for
> a published work to be available under the Code, and all those criteria are
> not met simultaneously, then it seems to me that the effective date of
> publication (for purposes of establishing nomenclatural priority for the
> included nomenclatural acts) is the date on which all of the criteria are
> fulfilled.  This has been the general model for new names (a model that I
> believe is also followed for botanical names -- i.e., that the effective
> date of establishment of a new name is taken as the date on which all
> requirements of the protologue are fulfilled).
>
> Following this logic, a PDF generated in March 2012, that had its Archive
> indicated in ZooBank in September 2012, would be effectively published in
> September; not March.
>
> Is this logic flawed?

Not flawed, but about availability, and publication is arguably a
different matter.

The Glossary gives:
"date of publication, n. Of a work (and of a contained name and
nomenclatural act): the date on which copies of the work become
available by purchase or free distribution."
And this is not amended.

So Paul may well be right: the date may be when the copies were made
accessible, regardless of the fact that 8.5 was not fulfilled at this
time...

(Note that this appear to mean that, as odd as it may seem, works that
are "not published within the meaning of the Code" [eg, disclaimed
publication] can still have a "date of publication within the meaning of
the Code"...)

Laurent -