[Taxacom] Job Opening: Associate Editor, Missouri Botanical Garden
Jim.Solomon at mobot.org
Thu Sep 6 12:42:59 CDT 2012
Job # L079
Classification: Full time, Temporary
Dept/Div: MBG Press
Application Deadline: September 19, 2012
/open-positions.aspx to apply.
Associate Editor will report to the Scientific Editor and participate in
the electronic review and management of journal manuscripts for the two
quarterly journals, the Annals of the Missouri Botanical Garden and
NOVON, A Journal for Botanical Nomenclature. This includes copy and
stylistic editing, participating in electronic review, proof and
production aspects for journal articles. This position will also
encompass responsibilities for editorial and technical preparation and
production of book-length projects.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
* Participates with authors in the planning of publications to meet
content and style guidelines set forth by the Press.
* Copy edits and proof reads scientific manuscripts as assigned;
routinely interacts with authors by email, phone and FAX correspondence
to confirm manuscript modifications for journal and book style and to
clarify the language of the paper.
* Participates in final editorial quality control for manuscripts (style
and layout), assisting with proof pages and production aspects.
* Communicates internal design decisions with other editorial staff and
with production vendors (type layout, printers). Production may include
either journal or book-length manuscripts.
* Flexibly interact and problem-solve with other editorial staff to meet
quarterly journal and book deadlines.
* Manages contract editors and designers to meet associated publication
* Behaves and communicates in a manner that promotes and fosters a
culture of teamwork and cooperation, within our division and throughout
the Garden, with co-workers, supervisors/managers, volunteers, visitors
* Bachelor's degree in humanities or natural sciences, or a related
field is required. A minimum of 12 hours in scientific coursework is
* An equivalent combination of skills and experience may be considered.
* Minimum three to five (3-5) years' experience in editorial work,
preferably in scientific or technical journals and/or books.
* Demonstrated ability to edit, summarize, and develop technical
* Ability to communicate clearly in order to effectively collaborate and
work with authors, editors, and vendors both verbally and in writing.
* Must have a strong interest in and prior experience in Science.
* Thorough understanding of HTML, Photoshop and Web CMS platforms.
* Ability to electronically manipulate large databases, either
Excel/Access-based or editorial software.
* Demonstrated ability to write reports, business correspondence, and
* Detail-oriented; possessing ability to work independently with little
instruction; coordinate and prioritize multiple tasks, set deadlines,
and complete projects in a timely manner.
* Advanced degree of computer literacy.
* Must be punctual, dependable, self-starter, and possess the ability to
effectively multi-task and work under minimal supervision.
* Adaptability and flexibility to handle changing demands.
* Ability to read and comprehend instructions and information to
effectively execute and achieve results.
* Scheduling flexibility is required to work evenings, weekends, or
holidays, as needed.
* Proficient experience using Microsoft Office suite (i.e., Outlook,
Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and Windows XP)
* Proficient experience using graphics applications (PhotoShop) and/or
desktop publishing (InDesign) and/or ability and willingness to learn.
* Ability to communicate effectively in English (oral/written).
* Bilingual - Spanish is a desirable, but not required, skill.
* Proficient college-level skills in mathematics, requiring arithmetic
and basic statistics
* Ability to utilize keyboard (typing), move about facility frequently
throughout work day, and sit for extended periods of the work day (may
sit up to 50% of work day).
* Must be able to occasionally lift and carry up to 35 pounds.
* Frequent standing, reaching and stooping.
* May be required to perform tasks at varying heights (i.e., climb step
The requirements and duties listed are representative and not exhaustive
of the knowledge, skill, and/or abilities required.
James C. Solomon | Curator of the Herbarium | Missouri Botanical Garden
P.O. Box 299 | Saint Louis, Missouri, 63166-0299
More information about the Taxacom