[Taxacom] e-only publication for zoology, starts today

Stephen Thorpe stephen_thorpe at yahoo.co.nz
Thu Sep 6 15:29:16 CDT 2012

The relevant bit of the amendment is this:
 8.5. Works issued and distributed electronically. To be considered published, a work issued and distributed electronically must
8.5.1. have been issued after 2011,
8.5.2. state the date of publication in the work itself, and
8.5.3. be registered in the Official Register of Zoological Nomenclature (ZooBank) (see Article 78.2.4) and contain evidence in the work itself that such registration has occurred.
8.5.3.1. The entry in the Official Register of Zoological Nomenclature must give the name and Internet address of an organization other than the publisher that is intended to permanently archive the work in a manner that preserves the content and layout, and is capable of doing so. This information is not required to appear in the work itself.
8.5.3.2. The entry in the Official Register of Zoological Nomenclature must give an ISBN for the work or an ISSN for the journal containing the work. The number is not required to appear in the work itself.
8.5.3.3. An error in stating the evidence of registration does not make a work unavailable, provided that the work can be unambiguously associated with a record created in the Official Register of Zoological Nomenclature before the work was published.

First off, there may be a slide here between the terms 'issued' and 'published'. I think 8.5.2. should perhaps refer to the date of issue, not the date of "publication"? But this may be a minor point. Crucially, Articles 8.5.3.1-8.5.3.3 are subordinate to 8.5.3, so their content must be considered when one considers the meaning of 8.5.3 (i.e., don't take 8.5.3 out of context!) Now, 8.5.3 is *tensed*, i.e., such registration *has occurred*. "Such registration" as is specified by 8.5.3.1-8.5.3.3. But before 4 Sep 2012, this was not technically possible! (Actually, it was technically possible to specify an archive and its internet address, there just wasn't a devoted field for such information, nor a requirement to enter it, so I doubt very much whether anyone added such info into another field.)

So, it is not really possible for a work (electronic or print) issued before 4 Sep 2012 to contain evidence that Art. 8.5 compliant ZooBank registration had occurred...

Stephen