[Taxacom] e-only publication for zoology, starts today

Stephen Thorpe stephen_thorpe at yahoo.co.nz
Sat Sep 8 18:44:11 CDT 2012

as is the case with seemingly solid objects, if you turn up the magnification too high, you will find mostly empty space ...

there has always been a problem with what the Code means by "published"

an available work is one which is 'published according to the Code'

an unavailable work may still be 'published' in the usual sense of the word, such as works published before 1758, for example

one can read the amendement in a quite paradoxical way, i.e. an electronic work must be registered on ZooBank before it is published! Since it isn't published (according to the Code) until it is registered, it is impossible to do anything other than register it before it is published, i.e. if you haven't registered it, it ain't published! But "published" can be understood in the broader sense, of which "issued" is more or less a synonym. So, a work must be registered before it is issued (and evidence of this added to the work itself before issue). But what if that doesn't happen? Does that mean that the work can *never* be published electronically according to the Code?? Does the work need to be reissued after registration? What does that mean?? We know what it means to reissue hard copy, but how do you reissue an electronic copy that is already up on the web?? If the electronic journal is *conventionally structured* (i.e., with volume/issue numbers)
 then I guess one could reissue it under a later volume/issue number, but there is no requirement that an e-journal be so structured. Perhaps one could just change the date of publication stated on the work itself to later (i.e. after the registration), but that seems a bit too easy and dodgy ...

So, the challenge is to find a sensible and practical way of making the amendment work, but I don't even want to think about it just now ...

How is e-publication working out for botany? Are they (1) better at dealing with this stuff than us, or (2) too dumb to see the problems??

Stephen